Monday, November 21, 2011

Antarctic Bound (not quite)


The seafaring port of Ushuaia was surrounded by snow-capped mountains. It is also home to one of the best camera shops I've come across in South America. I bought a pair of binoculars then we lunched at an Irish pub.
We met the other 49 passengers at the Albatross Hotel (I thought albatrosses were bad luck for seafarers.) The One Ocean machine kicked into action and we bussed 5 minutes to the harbour. I sat next to a Pakistani named Zac, a New York doctor. He wanted to talk cricket. I told him I was out of touch but believed Julia Gilliard may be named the next Aussie captain.
Up the gangplank and into cabin 506. A great little cabin, functional, rock solid (or at least I thought so). Private facilities and the comfiest bed I've had in 4 weeks.
Then the bad news. One Ocean announced that the permit to enter Antarctic waters had not been signed off by the Canadian authorities. We had to spend the night tied up to the wharf. The good news was that I didn't get seasick.

No comments:

Post a Comment