Thursday, October 27, 2011

Long Flight, Long Legs - Santiago, Chile


Long plane journeys are not my favourite cup of tea. Back in 1964 I thought nothing about sitting for 21 hours on an MacRoberston Miller Airlines flight from Perth to Halls Creek. Yes, 21 hours aboard an MMA DC3 flight with nine stops en route and a cold boiled egg as the main meal. But I was 19 years of age, filled with adventure and bullet proof.

But now its 2011 and the 16 hour flight from Sydney to Santiago in Chile on LAN airlines, with a stopover in Auckland knocked the stuffing out of me a bit. I slept a bit, as best I could cramped up in cattle class. At 5'4" I've got a lot of sympathy for passengers with long legs. Two of our group are Peter at 6'2" and Steven at 6'4". But I still enjoyed the flight - I watched 'The Bucket List; with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman and ended up teary in the last ten minutes of this would-be classic.

But the highlight of the trip was the stopover in Auckland. All the Kiwis were celebrating their World Cup Rugby victory. There are banners and signs and lamb chop sized smi
les. A very tall blonde sashayed past several of our group. She had long extremely shapely legs encased patterned black stockings and black stilettos. Her micro-mini black leather skirt made the long legs even more evident. (God, I thought, how would she go in Seat 56J on Flight No M800. All heads turned to follow the legs as they sashayed past. The only problem with this moment of cerebral pleasure was Miss long Legs was not a Miss but a Mr. I had spotted the legs a few minutes before the others and had noticed the shaved, pancaked face and the protruding adam's apple. So much for that fantasy!
We all arrived safely in Santiago. Charles' luggage only just arrived - half an hour after every one elses. We had to pay the US$61 'Reciprocity Fee' to enter Chile and the delay through Customs and Immigration was almost as bad as Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment